Friday, October 22, 2010

Family Blessings

From Left to Right: Zeb, Dylan, JP, CR2, CR, Scout


Last weekend we were able to make a much needed trip to Waynesville, my home town. I think the last trip we made was the beginning of summer...no excuses other than letting life and finances get in the way. I guess the fact that my brothers and sisters are in prime activity overload age (12-16) may factor in as well. Anyhow...I have missed these people, and I find myself missing them even more now that I am back home. My dad always catches me (and my bad attitude) on the day I have to leave and says with a squinty grin "you hate leaving, don't you!?!" And you know, he is always right, especially now...



You see, my grandmother...i mean my Mamadele :) has been battling cancer for the past 5 years. It started with breast, and has progressed to her lungs. I have never seen someone deal with so much crap and worry more about those around her than herself. She is the prime example of the kind of woman I hope to amount to one day. I look so forward to a long conversation with her, be it over the phone while in traffic, or preferably right beside her on the blue couch. She has great insight, reads people so well, and her advice is always welcome. Her smile is beautiful, and she has an infectious sweet southern laugh.







This past weekend I asked her about "the albums" that we used to look through all the time when I was a little girl...and of course she still has them. I was specifically looking for the album of newspaper articles. She has kept record of all articles featuring our family to grace the local paper. From my fathers band achievements, letters to the editor, adoption news, dance achievements, and fashion ads featuring my mom (what a trip!). We all found joy and humor looking through this.


Mamadele also wanted me to have this picture:




This would be me around age 5 with my first dog, Charlie Brown. My family likes to tease me about my love of the name Charlie...my first dog was Charlie, I married a Charlie (Charles), and my first born is named Charlie. I mean really...what is my deal??? Here again she reminded me of simple childhood joy and the important things in life.

It's times like these that I want to freeze...times where we are all more aware of each other, our emotions, and our WANT to be together as a family. We had home cooked (Val cooked) meals, we went to the Apple Festival, we sat in the cool fall weather at Zebby's last football game of the season, and engaged in long family conversation. Conversations that are still sitting with me, so much so that my brain wouldn't slow down as I tried to fall asleep last night.




I guess Mamadele is trying to teach us to hold on to joy, and not dwell in our problems and heart aches. I am so lucky to have family members who have influenced me so deeply. I am SO looking forward to the holiday season that is upon us, and the time we will have to spend together!


Love to you all!
JP
P.S. - Take a moment and say a little prayer for my Mamadele :)

No comments:

Post a Comment