Wednesday, August 10, 2011

mmmmmmm Tomato Pie

My mom shared this recipe with me a few years ago and it has become an Edwards family staple. My mother and husband don't even like tomatoes, and they love this pie...so if you are a little weirded out, just trust me and give this a try.


Last nights pie was especially tasty! We used fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden. This year my tomato plants are 7 feet tall...no joke, and are producing the best tomatoes!

Take a look:


mmmmm....basil!



So here is what you will need:


1 Pie shell (I used Pillsbury)
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese

Cayenne Pepper...just a sprinkle to taste

3/4 C mayonnaise

3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice

handful of fresh basil

2 C shredded cheddar
3-4 fresh tomatoes sliced and drained

6 green onions chopped



Directions:


- Roll out pie crust into pie plate and sprinkle cayenne pepper (to taste) onto bottom of crust.


- Press Parmesan cheese into crust


- Bake crust at 400 degrees for 10 minutes





- While crust is baking slice tomatoes and drain onto paper towels to prevent your pie from being soggy!




- Slice your green onions


- Pull out your shredded cheese


- Mix mayonnaise with lemon juice and fresh chopped basil



- Now its time to layer this bad boy up!


- Start with tomatoes



- Sprinkle on your green onions



- Sprinkle on half of your cheese


- Spread all of mayo mixture on!




- Layer tomatoes again


- Sprinkle on remaining onions and remaining cheese



- Bake pie at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (or until melty and bubbly!)


Enjoy!!!




You got to try it! Perfect summer dinner...or great at a party!



Love to you all!


JP


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Petey would eat this, let alone pass the recipe along to you! I'm going to try this at book club next month - thanks for sharing (and I love the step-by-step photos - just like a professional cookbook)!

    ReplyDelete