Thursday, June 23, 2011

Back to the Belly: Post # 8

And finally ladies and gentleman... post #8 brings us the birth story of Charles Robert Edwards Jr.! I am so glad that I took the time to write down all of the details leading up to and during Charlie's birthday. Some details are a little more graphic than I remember, but I guess that is part of the fun in capturing memories. So without further ado...Charlie's birth story:




Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 1:29pm


Hello Family and Friends,


First of all, I need to apologise for neglecting my email account since week 39 of my pregnancy. Our life since that week has been quite a whirl wind! Let me try and recap since that time!


Charles and I were very lucky to have his parents in town for the final week of my pregnancy!!! Thank you, thank you Kim and Dan! I managed to work the entire 39th week and came home to a clean house with a gourmet meal every night. Kim and I took many a stroll around the neighborhood in anticipation of little Charlie. I had awful Braxton Hicks Contractions this whole week and was probably in labor the entire weekend.


On Monday, August 17th (the official due date) Charles and I went into the doctors office for my post due date work up. We had an ultrasound, internal exam, etc... Dr. McDaniel concluded that Charlie was probably over 8lbs., I was 3cm. dilated, and 75% effaced. He wanted to go ahead and schedule and induction for Wednesday of that week (the 19th). We informed the troops and headed home to rest until baby time. We ended up having a big spaghetti dinner that night and I treated myself to a glass of red wine (I think this did the trick). At 4:00am on Tuesday, August 18th I started to feel a little strange. I headed to the bathroom with an upset tummy, and then went back to bed. At 6:00am I woke again, but this time my tummy was speaking a little louder! While spewing from both ends and having 3 min. apart contractions that made my toes curl, we called the doctor! Charles and I quickly showered and headed to the hospital.


When we arrived at the Women's Center we were quickly placed in our birthing suite. We had the best nurse who calmed us down and got me settled. I quickly accepted a narcotic to "take the edge off", and finally stopped vomiting. The epidural was not far behind. Let me just give props to all the ladies who go natural; I think you are insane, but tuff none the less! We were told that I was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. My midwife assured us that we would deliver by lunch time. Mom, Dad, and Scout were rushing from Waynesville and we were worried they wouldn't make it in time. Well...no such luck. We endured along day!!! 12 hours of labor and 2 of those were pushing.


My water was broke at 3:00pm, and we found out that there was meconium staining (baby had a B.M.), and that most of the fluid was blocked behind him. We were informed that the NICU staff would be present during delivery. Charles and I decided that we would deliver on our own (how naieve!!!), and that no family would be present during the pushing. Thank the Lord that my Mom kept a close eye on my progress and finally stayed in the room when things got hairy! I ended up:

1. having a fever

2. was placed on pitocin to increase contractions...this caused to much pressure on Charlie's head and they had to stop the drip.

3. had to have an episiotimy

4. And you should have seen the amount of fluid following the baby! ewww gross!

5. Did not realize that Charlie would be whisked away from me immediately and that he would not cry until all fluid was removed.

6. Had some lovely clot removal and stitching after delivery!


Let's just say that this was not TLC's "A Baby Story"! hahah!


Charles Robert Jr. was delivered at 7:38pm and weighed in at 7lbs. 11oz. and was 20.5 inches long. He could not be a more perfect baby! He is truly a clone of Charles! After things were cleaned up, the whole family came in to greet our new addition. I had a lovely McDonalds dinner and we were then transferred to our recovery room. We stayed there for 2 nights as new parents. I will never forget the feeling Charles and I felt after his parents left us on our own. We felt this again during our first day home! I can truly say that our life is all about Charlie now! You don't understand the pull a child has on your heart until you become a parent.


The first two weeks at home we were blessed to have our Mom's! Kim for week 1 and Val for week 2. From the start of week 3 we have been slowly adjusting to our new life, and loving every second (even the sleepless ones). He changes daily, and is soooo precious. Charlie is:


- gaining weight and increasing fat rolls

- cooing

- has a distinctive hunger grunt

- sleeps in 3-4 hour stints in his bassinet

- plays with his hands (they are his favorite toy)

- and of course he poops...allot!!!


Please enjoy the attached pictures! We will keep you all updated as things progress!


Love,


Jessi, Charles and Charlie




Daddy and Charlie just moments after he was born


3 generations of Edwards men



Mother and Son...finally!




2 weeks old
Charlie's first bath



And that wraps up the Back to the Belly series!!! What a fun 2 weeks of remembering one of the most special times in my life! I can't believe all of that took place 2 years ago!


Now back to the present...we will be heading to Florida tomorrow for a week long family vacation at Gramma and Poppins' Florida home. We will be visiting the beach, relaxing by the pool, grilling out, and most exciting...introducing Charlie to the magic of Disney for the first time!!! He is anxiously awaiting hugging Mickey, Gooky, and Dawald! So precious! I will be taking a weeks break from the blog as well...pictures to come on our return!



Love to you all!


JP

No comments:

Post a Comment